Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BoneCrafter The MOD Kit, Coming Soon!

Sergeant
    In the news on the site maybe I have misunderstood but is it true that we will create your " own game"?
    If it's true then I will make a totem of D-Dub in my room ( maybe a boner with a hamster -----> a Bonester!)
    I will say just one last word. OMG!

Very excellent news! Will the kit work for modding Bonetown as well? Or only in the sense that you can eventually create your own Bonetown-type game?

Quote Originally Posted by Korbe78 View Post
    I have Gimp 2.6. So is there a Gimp tutorial for dummies?\
    I googled & found this place.

http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

Also:

http://docs.gimp.org/en/
    Gimp is fairly similer to Photoshop in a lot of ways. It's a pretty sophisticated program... what that usually means is, like most people who learn photoshop, the best way to learn it is to just jump in and start screwing around with it. Draw stupid doodles like you would with MS paint, then test out the various filters and functions. Take existing skins and try out different filters/effects, but be sure to only save changes to duplicate files in a different folder. Don't want to mess up your core game. As far as "for dummies" things go, my best advice for learning how to make new skins for people and objects... would be to sign up for IMVU (Which is free) and hit the forums there. People in the DEV community there are pretty helpful and can show you how to use filters/transparencies/effects to do a wide variety of things.

There isn't AS much for learning how to mesh/construct 3-D models on IMVU, so I can't help with that aspect. But for skinning, you'll find alot of valuble resources there. That said, I imagine you might have to filter through some things specific to thier Mod tools, but I found alot of advice on GIMP there. All in all, don't let that scare you from just wasting a couple of days messing around with the program on your own. It's very versitile, and people have tons of room to develop thier own techiques for creating textures/style.

As far as where to look for 3-D model creation... if you can't find it on IMVU, I'd investigate the TF2 mod community. (Also free to play.) There are a wide variety of mod sites out there dedicated to the hobby, as well as forums... you might find some help from them in creating weapon models at the least....

I opened a texture file from BC on Gimp & it looked like a big chess board. not sure how to view
    files in a 3d view. Seems too complicated for me.
    I love redheads & killing zombies!

Quote Originally Posted by Korbe78 View Post
    I opened a texture file from BC on Gimp & it looked like a big chess board. not sure how to view
    files in a 3d view. Seems too complicated for me.
    Texture files are all 2-dimensional files designed to wrap around 3-d mesh files. The Checker pattern you saw is generally used by meshers to create the first skin for a model by determining how the 2-dimensional texture will distort when wrapped onto the model. Photoshop and GIMP do not create anything 3-dimensional in games. You can create the ILLUSION of 3-dimensions with skillful textures, but these are merely put on top of a 3-d polygonal construct.

You may be looking at the wrong layer of a texture, or possibly looking at a checker layer texture used in game. The other thing might be the format of the file.... you may have to rename extentions to modify them, the rename them back. I haven't begun fiddling with textures yet... because the mod tools aren't out yet (I.E. they might have something in the tools that allows the conversion of files, if they are particularly encrypted.... which I doubt, but whatever.

GIMP is pretty much the same as Photoshop.... possibly a little simpler. I know there are some things that each program has that the other doesn't... but not many. Most of the functions are the same. If you are looking at the wrong layer, the same thing can happen in Photoshop. Try fiddling around with the layers, or try opening a different file. Then try making a duplicate of the file, and changing the file extention to something compatible with GIMP, if it's not one GIMP recognizes.

Modding things is usually anything BUT simple... but it's pretty rewarding when you start to catch on. You'll spend alot of time just messing around, hopefully not saving over anything important... before you start to make sense of it all. Unless they offer a comprehensive tutorial with the mod tools... which would shock the heck out of me.
    Last edited by Rocketeer; 02-02-2012 at 09:23 PM.

They will make it easier for ppl who don't know scripting to just place 'assets' where we want.
    Like a game I'm playing on Xbox called Avatar Legends. Basically a rpg maker for dummies. Check it out if you have Xbox 360!
    http://www.barkerscrest.com/forums/d...x?g=topics&f=4
    I'm working on an adventure but it takes a LONG time! I'll post when its done.(if)

Here's the new pic of modding screen from BC site.( in case u haven't been there in awhile)

I hope we can make our own cutscenes too. Don't see why not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Korbe78; 03-01-2012 at 11:49 PM.
    I love redheads & killing zombies!

I prefer photoshop, it's easier to get around and find tools and everything you need, i tried gimp, and i hate the layout and the controls.. everything about it aggravates me...

Lieutenant
    Yo D-Dub, it's been a month now... How's the progress for the modding kit? Do we have to wait weeks, months or years before you finish it? Just give us a vague estimate so we can adjust our expectations!

Thanks!

Sergeant
    Helloooooo! There is still someone here? Can we have just some little news about the progress?
    I'm very exited about the mod and I have already imagine some kind of game I can realize.
    I can't wait! I'm to exited!

Private
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonemaster View Post
    From what i hear BoneCrafter is finished just waiting for ok to release.
    A_W_E_S_O_M_E, i have sooo been waiting for that