Look i can see your point on that the game seems smaller and it is but i defenatly do not agree that bonetown is beter.
There are a TON of things they improved on.
The squad for example is not useless, i finished all missions on hard and playing around with the defend and offence modes can help you out in multyple occasions.

The jetpack aswell i found myself staying alive at certain points where the extra speed+jump saved my ass lets not forget you need it for the 25 collectables (The reward for all 25 was rather surprising to me lol good one D-dub ).
The money you gain quickly indeed but you will also need a ton of it if you wish to upgrade all like i did.

Storywise i think they did a huge upgrade on bonecraft aswell, its not as compelling as it could be but i found the bonetown voices + comments etc rather dull towards anoying.
This time around it doesent really feel like all characters are retarded as ****.

Fighting has become more fun with upgradable weapons squads positions etc.
The controls are the only thing i think should really be considered to be fixed.
Bonetown was horrendesly bad for me, no use of errow keys if fail for me.
I found it very disseapointing to see i couldent use the in Bonecraft aswell (thank god i could put them on numlocks.

Overall i think D-dub is taking a step in the correct direction with Bonecraft but it lacks a bit of content, the only thing i hate about the game is that i completed everything allready ; ;.

If you compare it with Bonetown i would say in short.

Bonetown: Medium Quality, Good Quantity
Bonecraft: Good Quality, Medium Quantity

Wich do i prefere?
Personally Bonecraft due to alot f the above and mostly controls + Characters(they seem more real and less anoying voice dialoge also the humor is more pointed at a more adult audience imo the farm in the first map for example was just brilliant lol).

Good job D-dub, ill be ready for buying the next expantion / game if there ever comes one we can only hope