Thread: Changing the main character?

Changing the main character?

Guess I'll be the first one to post here.

How hard is it to change the model/voice/etc. of the main character? This includes changing him into a female character if desired...

How would you go about that?

In order to change the main character, you only need to change or redefine mainCharacterGen. You can find this in game\dataBlocks\characterGenData\characterGen_Gene ricGUYS.cs on line 2814:
    Code:
    datablock CharacterGenData(mainCharacterGen : FortWorthDude)
    {
    	characterBlock0 = "MainCharacterData";
    	moneyRange = "0;0";
    };
    This datablock inherits from FortWorthDude with the exception of the characterBlock0 (defined in \game\dataBlocks\characterData\male.cs) and the money range. So for example if you use LittleDickMonsterDude instead of FortWorthDude, the main character will be a dick monster.

Unfortunately at this time female main characters are not supported. This is mostly because females do not strafe, run backwards, take damage, deal damage, mack, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrafter View Post
    Unfortunately at this time female main characters are not supported. This is mostly because females do not strafe, run backwards, take damage, deal damage, mack, etc.
    That's step one right there.

Any thoughts/suggestions on how to implement the missing stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by algures7 View Post
    That's step one right there.

Any thoughts/suggestions on how to implement the missing stuff?
    I was afraid of that. It probably requires a bunch of new animations to be created. Hopefully, someone will eventually create a mod with a female main character or something similar, but animating is out of my league.

It would be cool if there was a sub-menu that showed main character (just standing there) that u could view & rotate, show stats & have a wardrobe button to change Fort's look to different suits. (nude, armor. jeans, etc)
    A quick way to change his appearance basically.

If a modder can do that I'd give them a cookie!
    I love redheads & killing zombies!

Quote Originally Posted by BoneCrafter View Post
    In order to change the main character, you only need to change or redefine mainCharacterGen. You can find this in game\dataBlocks\characterGenData\characterGen_Gene ricGUYS.cs on line 2814:
    Code:
    datablock CharacterGenData(mainCharacterGen : FortWorthDude)
    {
    	characterBlock0 = "MainCharacterData";
    	moneyRange = "0;0";
    };
    This datablock inherits from FortWorthDude with the exception of the characterBlock0 (defined in \game\dataBlocks\characterData\male.cs) and the money range. So for example if you use LittleDickMonsterDude instead of FortWorthDude, the main character will be a dick monster.

What were to happen if you left that spot blank? Would the character be invisbile?

Also, what would actually happen if you replaced it with one of the elf chick moduls. Would the game crash? If not... I wouldn't care if the animation looked dodgy with side strafing etc. I'd imagine the character would remaine still-ish as you walked forward and back. Which would be fine for me. Plus, don't they have an attack animation for them anyway as well as a falling over animation (taking damage)... Wouldn't those apply?